Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving

Today I finally got around to really being touched by Thanksgiving. I was thinking about Jesus and my need for someone who understands me. I was thinking about my older brother reaching out and taking my hand... Jesus understanding my insecurities and my desire for affection, and smoothly reassuring me that I'm loved and have a best friend in Him.

Plus, my family sang.

It's been forever, it seems, since we've had a good gather-'round-the-piana-and-sing-til-it-hurts extravaganza. The songs were beautiful and were largely about gratitude for the atonement, for families, for all our blessings. I love my life and I love my family. I'm so thankful for it all.

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by a lilac tree,
I’m glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, mind, my heart;
I thank Him rev’rently
For all his creations, of which I’m a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.
My Heavenly Father Loves Me
The Children’s Songbook, p. 228

4 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

I like this Primary song. It inspires without inspiring guilt (for me, anyway--I'm sure it inspires guilt in someone).

Beck said...

I knew you had it in you to be as gaggy as the rest of us...:)

Samantha said...

And now...I'm happy...you posted your list...Yay!

mark said...

I am very fond of that song, too. I think what I like about it is the humble spirit it conveys of wonder at and gratitude for life.