Monday, August 07, 2006

My favorite color

In moving closer to God, will I have to be homogenized? Will we all eventually shine the same bright white, or can I shine golden, or spring green, or vivid tangerine? Will my dark desires be the catalysts that make me more like God, or will they keep me different? Do I give off my own wavelength of light just by moving close to God, a cosmic Doppler Effect that somehow allows my movement to shine my own color of beauty to the stationary viewer, even as I draw closer to the center of the Universe, where gods and matter end? Is my individuality burned up beautifully like a meteor as I draw closer to my goals? Is the incredible journey to sameness the thing that sets us apart in the end? Are our scars what make us beautiful?

My favorite color was red for a while as a kid. Then it was blue. I leveled off at green during high school and college and now I'm leaning toward vivid tangerine. I bought a rainbow tie over the weekend. I asked my wife if she thought it looked too gay but then decided I shouldn't worry. I like rainbows and I always have.

If God tells me the favorite color I should have, I'll agree. But in the mean time, I'm enjoying my scarlet couch cover.

I'm pretty sure He never will.

12 comments:

Chris said...

If God tells me the favorite color I should have, I'll agree.

Why would you let God tell you what you favorite color should be?

-L- said...

I try so hard to be profound and nuanced and just end up coming across as dumb-tarded. Oh well.

I'm just saying that whatever God wants to tell me, I trust. Even if I don't get it.

And also, it seemed to fit well with Smurf's freaking awesome prose that everyone should go read in context.

Chris said...

L, lest I seem like the dumb-tard, I knew what you were saying. I just wanted to push a little bit.

You used the color illustration to show that sometimes it doesn't seem to make much sense what God wants of us, but we take it on faith and do it anyway. This is not an uncommon sentiment among people of faith. God knows better than me, we say.

I'm saying that sometimes we think God cares what our favorite color should be when, really, he doesn't. I think he's thrilled that we bother at all to notice the many different colors he's created.

Jokey Smurf said...

Hey. Feel free to comment or borrow or whatever any time. I actually feel pretty honored.

-L- said...

Yeah, Chris, I think God's a big fan of diversity and color too. Vivid tangerine.

But when he says no tangerine and my only reason to doubt is that I really freakin' like tangerine and lots of people tell me it's a great color... well, I've tried to be sure that I assess God's will without just deciding that He must be a fake unless He agress with me on the tangerine issue.

Chris said...

I great potential for us talking past each other here, so I think I'll quit while I'm ahead. Or you're ahead. Or whatever.

-L- said...

Yeah, I kind of knew we were destined for some ending like this. Oh well. We've been through the motions, you and I. We know where the other is going. And I love ya for it.

Back when I used to debate ad nauseum with HawaiiDave I finally decided I would give him the courtesy of the last word on his own blog and I would comment as much as I wanted to on my own. Seemed to work pretty well. :)

Chris said...

I actually thought your example of a favorite color was perfect because it shows how utterly irrational human beings can be in matters of religious faith.

But, you know, gay apostate and all. What do I know?

And now I leave the last word to you...

B.G. Christensen said...

Ah HA! So YOU're the guy I saw wearing a rainbow tie this past Sunday. NOW I know your secret identity!

-L- said...

Chris, I chose the color example because it shows how utterly irrational God can appear. But he does have the whole omniscient thing going for Him. I suppose we're saying the same thing from our respective sides of the fence. You're the best gay apostate friend I have, and I value your opinions and feedback.

The trick with allowing the blog owner the last comment is you don't want to stop conversations prematurely. By all means, comment more if you like.

-L- said...

Master FOB, I'm at your mercy. But didn't that tie look nice with my smart new tangerine shirt?

Chris said...

Nah. (Unless you count that as the last word.)