Thursday, July 05, 2007

Journaling

Blogging, apparently, isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be in terms of personal journaling. It is pretty great, don’t get me wrong, but it doesn’t have the same feeling as writing in a personal journal on the computer. On my computer, for years I’ve written my inner-most thoughts with very little (if any) regard for how they might be interpreted by others. When I blog, I write for an audience. I always keep the reader mind—trying to remember the most entertaining anecdotes, the cleverest ways of putting things. I think I do this even while trying to convince myself that I don't. I suppose there’s a value to both approaches. If I were someone reading a personal history, I’d want one that had been tailored to be relevant and succinct, not the meanderings of a bothered mind (as my computer journal entries tend to be).

The other issue I’ve been dealing with is the evolving multiplicity of places where I record my thoughts. I have a family blog, a personal blog, several group blogs, an anonymous blog, and a private blog (online but password protected). All those places tend to get confused, and while I have what seems to be a good reason for each of those places existing, sometimes just sorting out what goes where seems to take more effort than I want to put forward, so I just don’t write anything at all.

Over time, blogging seems to have become just a de facto part of what I do--how I make sense of life. Currently, time limits what I can do. And, for that matter, I don't find I need the therapeutic outlet right now that I have at other times. But it's there, and I'm glad. And so is the computerized journal. With the all the places for outlet, with all the friends-both online and off, it's a system I'll keep.

5 comments:

Sean said...

It doesn't matter how often you write or what you write about. We all love you and your thoughts. I personally love hearing about your experiences, your theories, your thoughts about the church, and just any randomness that you throw at us.

For me personally, I really look up to. Your such a great example to me and going to medical school multiplies your coolness by infinity in my books! Thanks for commenting and everything else you do!

Gimple

Forester said...

I agree with Gimple. I know the time it takes to read and post blogs, but we need you. I'm glad you still plan to stay with us. I would suggest dropping your efforts of creating anecdotes and trying to sound clever. We want the real you, with no pretense.

Kengo Biddles said...

I've found that I have bleed through with my journals. I don't know that I could keep up multiple blogs.

Beck said...

As busy as life gets and as less-angsty as you become, and even if you can't think of a thing to say (though I doubt you're at that point :)) we still NEED you to blog and be there.

You are such an anchor in this community!

Thanks.

-L- said...

You guys are very nice. Thanks for the kind words.