Thursday, January 04, 2007

Living the days

Adaon smiled gravely. "Is there not glory enough in living the days given to us? You should know there is adventure in simply being among those we love and the things we love, and beauty, too."

I've been excited to find the adventure and "glory" waiting for me so far in 2007. I find I like my life to a surprising degree, all things considered. I've had a few rough patches lately, but nothing unusual or particularly alarming. And in the midst of it all I find myself more in love with my wife than ever, more connected to my son than ever, and more content with "living the days given" to me.

Sometimes I wonder if it's a symptom of having left my 20's behind that I no longer find a huge amount of draw in big ambitious dreams. Less and less do I feel like I have to compete or out-do anyone else, and it's kind of a relief. I have a little family and we are the most important thing in one another's lives. Having said that, we each have personal interests that we pursue with alacrity and passion, and I'm not really in favor of giving that up.

So, yeah, Adaon. Good point.

2 comments:

Scot said...

Couldn’t agree more. My worst career move was certainly my best move in life ;-).

G'pa Bob said...

I did lots of things that I wanted to but not all. In fact, I still have two or three more things that I know I probably will not do. Family has, as you said, become so much more important than these other things.